Previously, we have covered how to identify where the user is, based upon navigator.geolocation and based upon their IP address (there are definitely ways to make IP-based geolocation suck less). I figured that in today’s post, we would look at how to go from an arbitrary physical location (zip code or city name) to latitude …Continue reading "Where art thou: Converting addresses to latitude and longitude."
Last week, I wrote about creating a cloudflare worker. When I created that worker, I knew that I wanted to leverage that for the state parks app. This week, I created three new workers: one to get the user’s location, one to get the list of parks, and one to get an individual park. Let’s …Continue reading "State Parks App: I made some new APIs for the app"
Just about every vue demo that I have done on this blog has involved Axios. I am not sure that it is necessarily needed all the time, though. I wanted to take this blog post as an opportunity to see if it can be replaced with fetch.Continue reading "Do you really need Axios in your Vue app?"
Earlier this year, we looked at Mapbox and how to use it to show a location on a map. I figured that now that we have a listing of park locations, it is time to look at mapping them. This might be a fairly brief post since everything that we are doing here has been …Continue reading "State Parks App: Mapping the park locations"
Last week, we finally got the park listing working and updated the instance at test.wisparks.jws.app. This week, I figured that we should add Bulma to the project and add sorting. So, let’s start by adding Bulma and cleaning the code up a little. See the Pen Wisc Parks (Part 5): Cleaning up the listing and …Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s add Bulma and Sorting"
Last week, I got all the way to the end before the damn Google Sheets API stopped working on me. This week, I figured that we would create a JSON file out of the spreadsheet, host it somewhere, and then just use that. I started by creating a CSV file from the Google Sheets document, …Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s try that again?"
Previously, we built an API for the State Parks App, using Google Sheets and we set up hosting for the thing. The next step is to actually write the first bit of the thing. When we created the API, we also wrote a little vue.js proof of concept that loops over the data and outputs …Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s actually build something"
Previously, we took a look at my plan to build an app to track state parks. The first step towards phase 1 of the plan is to have some solid data, so we need to build an API. Last year, we looked at building a JSON API using Google Sheets. I don’t see any reason …Continue reading "State Parks App: The API"
I have been wanting to work with some statistical data for a while now. Recently, I came across The COVID Tracking Project (a project of The Atlantic) and I figured that I would would look at what I could get out of the project’s APIs. The project has a lot of API endpoints but I …Continue reading "Playing with COVID-19 data"