State Parks App: Mapping the park locations

Earlier this year, we looked at Mapbox and how to use it to show a location on a map.  I figured that now that we have a listing of park locations, it is time to look at mapping them.  This might be a fairly brief post since everything that we are doing here has been …

Continue reading "State Parks App: Mapping the park locations"

Playing with Vue Router

Back in July, we looked at how Vue CLI and webpack work and I figured that it was time to look at Vue Router, as a follow-up.  Vue Router is going to be pretty necessary for the state parks app, moving forward. Like I did last time, I used VueCLI and Bulma.  I also put …

Continue reading "Playing with Vue Router"

State Parks App: Let’s add Bulma and Sorting

Last week, we finally got the park listing working and updated the instance at test.wisparks.jws.app.  This week, I figured that we should add Bulma to the project and add sorting. So, let’s start by adding Bulma and cleaning the code up a little. See the Pen Wisc Parks (Part 5): Cleaning up the listing and …

Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s add Bulma and Sorting"

Nine electric cars that you can buy in 2021 for under $20,000

Back in May 2020, I bought my first electric car.  I spent a little over $11k for the thing (including shipping).  That was a good deal at the time but I got to wondering what you can currently buy for under $20k.  After all, it has been over a year since then and the used …

Continue reading "Nine electric cars that you can buy in 2021 for under $20,000"

State Parks App: Let’s try that again?

Last week, I got all the way to the end before the damn Google Sheets API stopped working on me.  This week, I figured that we would create a JSON file out of the spreadsheet, host it somewhere, and then just use that.  I started by creating a CSV file from the Google Sheets document, …

Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s try that again?"

State Parks App: Let’s actually build something

Previously, we built an API for the State Parks App, using Google Sheets and we set up hosting for the thing.  The next step is to actually write the first bit of the thing.  When we created the API, we also wrote a little vue.js proof of concept that loops over the data and outputs …

Continue reading "State Parks App: Let’s actually build something"

I moved jws.dev off of keybase

This post is 50% housekeeping and 50% devops, and something that normally wouldn’t warrant a blog post but I’m still getting over last week’s vacation and didn’t want to wait another week before posting new content.  I promise that next week’s post is going to be more substantive.

Continue reading "I moved jws.dev off of keybase"