Back in April, I visited Aztalan State Park and despite the recent death of my truck, I still want to continue with my plan to visit every state park in the Wisconsin State Parks system. My first thought when I set the goal was to just track it on my main website. While that works, it is still hard to track where / what the parks on the list are, so I thought “Why not build an app?” and if I am going to build this app, I wanted to do it in public, on this blog.
So, what do I want this app to have?
- A list of state parks that is sortable and searchable
- The details of each park, including:
- Hours, entrance fees, etc
- Link to DNR website
- Maps (showing where the park is)
- Photos of the park
- Show what parks the user has been to, so far and which ones they haven’t
- This is likely going to require single sign-on and something like firebase.
- Show the distance between where they are and the park, so that they can figure out where the closest park is
- A commenting and contribution system
- It would be nice to allow the user to add photos of their own and notes.
- Native apps
- Wear OS
I am not going to pretend that I am going to roll through all five stages in a week or something. This is a long-term plan. Phase 1 is going to require an API and data. You can expect to see a github repo sometime soonish, though.
Have any questions, comments, etc? Feel free to drop a comment, below.